The position is located in Calgary, Alta.
The Cost Engineer will develop, monitor and report on project cost performance from the early conceptual phase of capital projects through the engineering, construction and commissioning phases of high voltage transmission line and substation development projects. The Cost Engineer will also develop and maintain the project cost performance database. This role will be part of the Project Management Office (PMO) and project controls.
• Analyze historical project cost information and provide cost forecasts and estimates during project development and budgeting.
• Support Project Managers, VPs, Conceptual Engineers and Project Controls Analysts with cost analysis, benchmarking and estimating initiatives.
• Prepare cost estimates of different AACE classes as required.
• Evaluate contract change submissions, requests for extra work and prepare the pertinent validation estimates to support the Project Managers.
• Monitor changes on commodity prices, cost indexes and other factors that could affect project cost.
• Determine, update and improve estimating standards and processes.
• Provide analysis of cost factors at the macro and local level and monitor historical cost factor database.
• Provide information as part of the internal estimate review processes including providing support in compiling project estimates in Work Breakdown Structure format.
• Support the Project Managers in the analysis of project risk & advice on associated contingency allowance.
• Advise Project Managers on the project budget/forecast, for construction based on productivity analyses, trends and changes.
• Support Project Controls in the maintenance of earned value analyses.
• Co-ordinate the annual preparation of the 5-year Capital Plan.
• Implement and maintain mechanisms to support adequate risk management.
• Mentor and give direction to Estimators, Project Controls Analysts and Conceptual Engineers on cost engineering matters.
• Present findings to the projects team when required.
• Provide support to regulatory requirements as needed.
• In addition to technical exposure, this position will give the opportunity to be exposed to Project Controls and Project Management fundamentals measurement, reporting and decision making processes.
• The candidate will also gain knowledge and exposure to project and program reporting through mentorship from projects leads and assigned tasks.
• An engineering degree with additional studies/knowledge of statistics, business, and/or economics; an MBA is preferred.
• Minimum two years of experience in estimating, project management, project controls or cost engineering would be strongly desired.
• Minimum five years of experience related to projects would be considered an asset.
• Proficiency working with spreadsheets is a must (i.e. formulas, filters, goalseek, vlookups, pivot tables).
• Experience with Crystal Ball or Pertmaster/Primavera Risk Analysis would be an asset.
• Experience with Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook.
• Membership with AACE is desired.
• Registered or eligible for membership in ASET or APEGGA.
• Knowledge of and experience with computerized cost management and control systems.
• Knowledgeable in use of SAP is preferred.
• Effective report writing and presentation skills.
• Knowledge in project management procedures and planning.
• Demonstrated team player in a multi-disciplinary team.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Superior communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
• Previous transmission industry experience would be an asset.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
INTERESTED? Applicants can submit their resume and cover letter to www.altalink.ca by January 18, 2012.
Please mention you saw this posting at EBMag.com!
EB CAREERS - AltaLink seeks Cost Engineer - 1695Date Posted: January 12, 2012 - Date Ends: November 29, 1999
January 5, 2012 (UPDATED January 12, 2012) - AltaLink is currently looking to fill the position for a:Cost Engineer - Full-Time, Permanent
2016 Ontario Energy Network Annual Charity Golf TournamentThu Jul 14, 2016
2016 IEEE PES General MeetingSun Jul 17, 2016
Webinar: Cash Flow Problems? 5 Ways to Maximize your ProfitsTue Aug 23, 2016 @ 2:00pm - 03:00pm
EFC 16th Annual Federation Cup Golf 2016Wed Aug 24, 2016
EAM Fall 2016 Golf Classic TournamentThu Aug 25, 2016 @ 8:00am - 08:00pm
Green Energy Doors Open 2016Fri Sep 09, 2016