Codes & Standards
News & Updates
Available – C22.10-10 Quebec Construction Code with electrical amendments
By Anthony Capkun
CSA reports the 2010 edition of the Quebec Construction Code, Chapter V – Electricity (C22.10-10) incorporates the 2009 Canadian Electrical Code Part I, with additional amendments and requirements for the Quebec market.
It has been designed and developed to establish safety standards for the installation and maintenance of electrical equipment, with consideration given to the prevention of fire and shock hazards, as well as proper maintenance and operation. Compliance with the requirements of this code and proper maintenance will ensure an essentially safe installation.
Key changes to the Quebec Construction Code, Chapter V include:
• Addition of requirements for tamper-resistant receptacles in dwelling units.
• Clarification of the additional requirements regarding flexible cords allowed in plenums or hollow spaces in suspended ceilings.
• Addition of requirements for underground cables and raceways that are subject to movement by settlement or frost.
• Relaxation of requirements for the positioning of service conductor supports when existing installations are renovated.
• Increased relaxation of the requirement allowing the installation of meter mounting devices equipped with a combined breaker.
• Improvement of requirements for emergency supply systems.
• Addition of specifications for electric or hybrid vehicle recharging infrastructure.
• Addition of requirements related to new products (cord-connected combination microwave oven/range hood fan, copper-sheathed cable, etc.).
• Prohibiting of cutting or adding strands or altering conductors in any other way to connect them to terminal parts, lugs, or other junctions.
• Improvement of requirements regarding mechanical protection for conductors in concealed installations.
• Relaxation of requirements for the classification of hazardous locations for vehicle showrooms and sales offices.
• Improvement of requirements for additional receptacles for peninsular or permanently fixed island counter spaces.
CLICK HERE to BUY the 2010 Quebec Construction Code (PDF).
CLICK HERE to pre-order the 2010 Quebec Construction Code hard copy (available January 2011).
CLICK HERE to BUY the 2009 Canadian Electrical Code Handbook.