Electrical Business

Features Energy & Power Generation
Bruce Power invests $58 million for planned maintenance outage


February 3, 2015
By Renée Francoeur


Topics

February 3, 2015 – A Bruce A unit has been removed from service for a $58 million planned maintenance outage, announced Bruce Power this week.

Unit 1 was returned to service in 2012 after it had been shut down by the former Ontario Hydro in the 1990s. It was removed from service on Jan. 30 after 99 consecutive days of supplying safe, reliable and carbon-free nuclear energy to Ontarians, during the cold winter months, said Bruce Power.

“We’re very proud of our staff at Bruce A, which has safely performed an immense amount of work to fine-tune Unit 1 in the post-restart years,” said Len Clewett, executive vice-president and chief nuclear officer.

The station also set a post-1981 long-run record of 91 consecutive days of four-unit operation, before Unit 3 was removed from service for a short-duration, planned maintenance outage, said Bruce Power.

The 91-day long run also tripled a post-restart record of 28 days of four-unit operation, the company added.

“With this long-run record, we continue to prove to the people of Ontario that refurbishment of nuclear reactors can be successful and is an excellent investment in low-cost, clean energy that will produce safely for decades,” Clewett said.