Denis Lavoie assumes 2011-2012 presidency of IES
By Alyssa Dalton
July 5, 2011 – Denis Lavoie, PE, LC, has been named president of the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America (IES) effective July 1, 2011, succeeding John Selander, LC.
Lavoie, currently the commercial general manager of Philips-Lumec and Philips Roadway, graduated from the École Polytechnique de Montréal as an industrial engineer in 1990. He has been a member of the Society for twenty years, where during that time he served as a member of the Board of Directors as treasurer, vice president, Design and Application, and director and regional vice president, Canadian Region. He is currently a member of the Montréal Section, here he previously chaired different committees at the Section level and served as president.
He also served as chair of the IES Committee on Guidelines for Outdoor Lighting and currently co-chairs the Model Lighting Ordinance Task Force. He received two IES Presidential Awards in 2006, one for participation in the Luminaire Classification Task Group and one for his work on the Model Lighting Ordinance, sponsored by the International Dark Sky Association and the IES. In addition, Lavoie is a member of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (O.I.Q.).
[We spoke with Lavoie at Lightfair 2011 in Philadephia, Pa, where he explained the big impact LEDs are making (and have yet to make) on the outdoor and roadway lighting markets. CLICK HERE to watch our video interview.]
Newly elected IES Board of Directors (2011 – 2013):
• Neall Digert, Solatube International Inc.
• Peter Hugh, Hugh Lighting Design, LLC
• Daniel Salinas, LC, Nelson Electric, Inc.
• Shelli L. Sedlak, LC, GE Lighting
Continuing IES Board Members (2011 – 2012):
• Jeffrey J. Davis, LC, principal of System Design Consultants
• Chip Israel (President Elect), Lighting Design Alliance
• Mark Lien, LC, CLEP, CLMC, LEED AP, director of Hubbell Lighting’s Solutions Center
• John Selander (Past President), LC, Acuity Brands Lighting
• David R. Woodward, PhD, director, HID Lamp Development, Philips Lighting Company
• Nick Bleeker, Philips Day-Brite
• Eric Lind, Lutron Electronics
• Peggy Sue Meehan, Amerlux