Electrical Business

Features Safety Safety News

Electrical hazards to employees nets Corinth campground $187K in fines

March 1, 2016 | By Anthony Capkun

February 29, 2016 – The organization running a campground in Corinth, N.Y., is facing $187,000 in fines for exposing its employees to numerous electrical hazards.

“These employees were knowingly exposed to electrical hazards that could have burned, shocked, disabled or killed them. They lacked the basic training, [PPE] and safeguards necessary to protect them,” said Robert Garvey, OSHA’s area director in Albany.

The U.S. Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) investigated a site at 78 Heath Road, and found employees were exposed to electrical hazards throughout the campground when they were required to work on outdoor electrical equipment. The hazards included:

• Not de-energizing and locking out electrical equipment when employees were required to test, operate, troubleshoot, replace and maintain such equipment.


• Lack of appropriate personal protective equipment and safety training for employees working on live electrical equipment.

• Employees required to repeatedly reset circuit breakers on electrical field boxes due to an undersized and inappropriately wired electrical service.

• Exposed live electrical parts.

• Damaged and rusting electrical field boxes with openings that allowed in rain, snow and wind.

OSHA cited Equity Lifestyle Properties Inc. (dba Alpine Lake RV Resort) for two wilful and seven serious violations of U.S. workplace safety standards.

“This employer must take prompt and effective steps to address and eliminate all these hazards before workers are harmed,” added Garvey.

Print this page


Stories continue below