Hydro-Quebec announces donations amid COVID-19
By Kavita Sabharwal-Chomiuk
Hydro-Quebec has announced donations and new measures to demonstrate its solidarity with Quebecers amid COVID-19.
In a press release, the organization said it wishes to “adapt our organization to the new reality created by the COVID-19 pandemic and do our part in the ongoing collective effort”.
These measures include:
- Donating 125,000 face masks to the Quebec government.
- Donating $300,000 to Centraide of Greater Montreal’s COVID-19 Emergency Fund to provide support to community groups on the front lines through donations from the organization’s employees and pensioners. This donation is in addition to Hydro-Quebec’s annual campaign, which included a $4 million donation in 2019.
- Donating $75,000 to the Red Cross in Quebec, towards its COVID-19 fund.
- Continuing its financial commitments – through donations and scholarships – that help create positive and sustainable change.
- Accelerating payments to suppliers (terms reduced from 30 to 15 days) to help support the province’s economy, effective March 24, 2020.
- Cancelling planned 2020 pay raises for our managers and postponing payment of 2019 performance pay for non-unionized employees (part of total remuneration) until the third quarter of 2020.
Previously announced measures:
- Indefinite suspension of administration charges for unpaid bills.
- No power interruptions for non-payment over the coming weeks, for both residential and business customers.
- No planned service interruptions for work on the power system.