By Anthony Capkun
February 4, 2013 – The National Electrical Trade Council (NETCO)—the joint training arm of the Canadian Electrical Contractors Association (CECA) and IBEW First District, Canada—is developing a Canadian Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Training Program (Can-EVITP) in partnership with EVITP in the States.
Can-EVITP will provide the EV transportation sector of the electrical industry and its stakeholders a structured platform to facilitate training and certification for the installation of EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment) across residential and commercial/public markets.
“It will assist the electrical contracting industry in accessing training and certification based on national standards and embracing emerging electric technologies early,” said NETCO treasurer Eryl Roberts.
With the assistance of a Can-EVITP Curriculum Committee, work is underway to adapt the American EVITP curriculum to the Canadian context. In June 2013, a train-the-trainer program will be pilot-tested by the Electrical Joint Training Committee (IBEW, Local 213 and Electrical Contractors Association of British Columbia [ECABC]) under the direction of training director Andy Cleven. A second train-the-trainer program will be delivered shortly afterward by the Ontario Electrical Industry Training Centre under the direction of training coordinator Peter Olders.
“We are pleased with the degree of industry support demonstrated by the talent recruited for NETCO’s National Can-EVITP Advisory Committee and Curriculum Committee,” said NETCO president Phil Flemming.
Can-EVITP partners to-date include a range of players from coast-to-coast, including:
• British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
• Canadian Electrical Contractors Association
• Electrical Contractors Association of Ontario (ECAO)
• Electrical Joint Training Committee (IBEW, Local 213 & Electrical Contractors Association of British Columbia)
• Electrical Industry Training Centres of Alberta
• IBEW, First District Canada
• IBEW Local 353
• IBEW Local 586
• Joint Apprenticeship & Training Committee, IBEW Local 625
• Joint Apprenticeship & Training Committee, IBEW Local 502
• Toronto Joint Apprenticeship Council
• Ontario Electrical Industry Training Centre
• Roberts On-site Inc.
• Robertson Bright Inc.
The National Electrical Trade Council (NETCO) is a joint labour-management partnership of the IBEW First District, Canada and the Canadian Electrical Contractors Association (CECA).