A big Thank You to our supporting sponsor, I-Gard (i-gard.com)—experts in the application of high-resistance grounding technology and arc flash hazard mitigation—for their support of the program.
“I-Gard Corp. is honoured to partner with Electrical Business in congratulating this year’s recipients and, especially, the Electrical Safety Champions,” says Andrew Cochran, president. “Through their efforts, perseverance and commitment, they have made a demonstrable change to workplace electrical safety. By following their example, by sharing their passion and commitment, we can all make a much needed difference.”
Kudos to our 2017 Canadian Electrical Award recipients:
• The Tata Steel concentrator mill, located in the remote region of the Labrador Trough. Winner in the Industrial category (over $1 million). Players involved include JSM Electrical Ltd. (contractor), Aecom (engineer), Tata Steel Minerals Canada (general), Schneider Electric Canada (manufacturer).
• Maritime Link submarine cable, located between Newfoundland & Labrador and Nova Scotia. Winner in the Special category (over $1 million). Players involved include Nexans (manufacturer, distributor, agent) and Emera Newfoundland & Labrador (general).
• Shell Scotford Refinery turnaround, located in Fort Saskatchewan, Alta., near Edmonton. Winner in the Industrial category (over $1 million). Players involved include Chemco Electrical Contractors (contractor) and Shell Canada Products (general).
• Brockville railway tunnel, located in Brockville, Ont. Winner in the Special category (over $1 million). Players involved include Ford Electric (contractor), City of Brockville (owner), Northern Cables Inc. (manufacturer), Nedco Ontario (distributor), Philips Lighting Canada (manufacturer).
• Ronald A. Bergeron, P.Eng., ME, of Bergeron Electric Ltd. (Cornwall, Ont.). Winner in the Electrical Safety Champion category.
• Terry Becker, P.Eng., IEEE Senior Member, CESCP, of Danatec Educational Services Inc., formerly of Electrical Safety Program Solutions (Calgary, Alta.), Winner in the Electrical Safety Champion category.
- Brockville railway tunnel Brockville railway tunnel
- Nexans Skagerrak cable-laying vessel Nexans Skagerrak cable-laying vessel
- Ron Bergeron Ron Bergeron
- Shell Scotford, Chemco team Shell Scotford, Chemco team
- Tata Steel concentrator mill Tata Steel concentrator mill
- Terry Becker Terry Becker
View the embedded image gallery online at:
“We asked nominators to focus on technical execution, coming within budget, safety record and general ‘Wow Factor’, and I believe they delivered,” says Anthony Capkun, EBMag’s editor. “These projects and electrical safety champs serve as great examples of masterful installation practices and conspicuous passion for worker safety.”
Keep your eyes open for the November/December 2017 edition of Electrical Business Magazine for our Cover Feature on this year’s honorees.
We’ll be putting out the call for both Nominations and Sponsors early in the new year, so keep reading Electrical Business Magazine, sign up for our weekly newsletter or follow us on Twitter @EBMag, or visit the awards website, EBMag.com/awards.
About Electrical Business Magazine