Electrical Business

Features
Northstar Hospitality GP fined 70K after genny amputates worker


October 30, 2012
By Anthony Capkun


Topics

October 29, 2012 – Northstar Hospitality GP Inc. was fined $70,000 for a violation of the Occupational Health & Safety Act after a worker was injured at the Toronto Hilton.

On August 9, 2011, a worker was doing a weekly test of the Hilton’s emergency generator equipment. The worker saw a leak under the radiator at the back of the genny and leaned over near the fan box to get a better look. The worker’s hand inadvertently entered an opening at the bottom of the fan box, and his fingers were amputated.

Northstar pleaded guilty to failing to ensure the generator was guarded to prevent access to its moving parts. In addition to the fine, the court imposed a 25% victim fine surcharge, which is credited to a provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.

Advertisment


learning curve Sponsored Content
Post your tech sheets, white papers, new technology etc. Contact Anthony Capkun