Codes & Standards
News & Updates
Ontario Electrical Safety Code (28th ed.) in effect May 2022
By Anthony Capkun
December 13, 2021 – The 2021 edition of the OESC (Ontario Electrical Safety Code) has been finalized and available for purchase. It comes into effect as regulation May 5, 2022.
“Revisions to the code are made through a broad consultative process with our safety partners, provincially and nationally,” said Electrical Safety Authority’s Nansy Hanna, adding that the new edition “provides Ontario businesses, consumers and homeowners with the nationally harmonized code while reducing burden on businesses, strengthening consumer protection and contributing to a safer Ontario for all.”
Ontario’s electrical industry is encouraged to begin familiarizing themselves now with the new OESC, as electrical work conducted after the effective date needs to meet its requirements.
The 2021 edition of the OESC includes the Canadian Electrical Code (CE Code) Part I, plus several Ontario-specific amendments, including:
• Requirements to support a reduction in the potential for fires and loss of animals in buildings housing livestock.
• Clear electrical safety installation requirements for energy storage systems (ESS) while harmonizing with other codes and standards.
• Requiring GFCI protection for all outdoor receptacles to mitigate the potential for electrical shock hazard.
• Guidance for electrical installations in flood hazard zones, and when electrical equipment has been exposed to water.
• Keeping workers safe by requiring additional receptacle for mobile structures connected to transfer equipment.
• In Ontario, mitigating the potential for shock or electrocution when structures are erected close to customer-owned powerlines.
• In Ontario, keeping the reduced conductor sizes for services and feeders for dwelling units by following current installation practice.
Available for purchase now, the new Ontario Electrical Safety Code can be ordered in hard copy ($223) and as PDF ($199).
(Once purchased, the PDF-version can be accessed immediately. Hard copy versions will not be available until late January 2022.)
Your purchase includes free access to bulletins on the CSA Community of Interest website over the entire code cycle period.
Electrical Safety Authority is partnering with CSA Group to offer the code book and all ESA bulletins together for one price in a searchable, digital format for $199. The bulletin package will be available in May 2022.
TO ORDER: Visit CSA Group or call 800-463-6727.
For more information on the new OESC, contact ESA Customer Service at 877-372-7233.
Electrical Safety Authority is an administrative body acting on behalf of the Government of Ontario. It is responsible for administering specific regulations related to the Ontario Electrical Safety Code, the licensing of electrical contractors and master electricians, electricity distribution system safety, and electrical product safety.