Electrical Business

Features
OSHA cites Missouri machine shop after welder electrocuted


August 3, 2016
By Renée Francoeur


Topics

August 3, 2016 – Federal investigators in the U.S. have found the electrocution of a 43 year-old welder could have been prevented if his employer had de-energized conductors and followed electrical safe work practices at a Missouri machine shop.

OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) in the U.S. investigated the May 4, 2016, incident at Homeyer Precision Manufacturing and cited the company for 11 serious and one other-than-serious safety violations on July 29, 2016.

“Employees working with electricity must be trained on shock, arc flash and electrocution hazards and how to protect themselves. This training must include locking out the electrical source and use of proper protective tools and personal equipment provided by the employer,” said Bill McDonald, OSHA’s area director in St. Louis.

Investigators believe the welder was disassembling a live, 480V flexible cord when he received the shock.

Advertisement

The investigation found Homeyer failed to:

• Train employees on electrical safe work practices,
• Isolate energy to machines and equipment,
• Provide personal protective equipment, including hand protection,
• Train and certify employees on procedures to prevent sudden machine start-up or unintentional operation—a process known as lockout/tagout,
• Install adequate machine guarding to avoid contact with moving parts,
• Provide insulated tools,
• Anchor machinery, and
• Mark dies for mechanical presses.

OSHA proposed fines of $59,000.



learning curve Sponsored Content
Post your tech sheets, white papers, new technology etc. Contact Anthony Capkun