SaskPower supervisor fined $28,000 for Wakaw workplace fatality
March 9, 2017 - Following a workplace fatality, Kelvin Rowlett—a supervisor with SaskPower—was found guilty of two counts under The Saskatchewan Employment Act in Melfort Provincial Court, and fined $28,000.
The charges stem from a December 2014 incident near Wakaw, when a worker was electrocuted while repairing a high-voltage transmission line.
Rowlett was charged with contravening:
• Clause 3-9(a): being a supervisor, fail to ensure, insofar as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety at work of all workers who worked under the supervisor’s direct supervision and direction, by failing to follow the SaskPower Safety Rule Book procedure to review and revise the job hazard identification and risk assessment if job conditions change, resulting in the death of a worker; and
• Clause 3-9(a): being a supervisor, fail to ensure, insofar as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety at work of all workers who worked under the supervisor’s direct supervision and direction, by failing to ensure a jumper cable was used prior to the cutting of an energized shield wire, resulting in the death of a worker.
Rowlett was fined $10,000 plus a $4000 surcharge on each count. One additional charge was dismissed.
For more information about responsibility for workplace health and safety, visit:
44th WorldSkills Competition - 2017
October 17-22, 2017
EPEC 2017: IEEE Canada Electrical Power & Energy Conference
October 22-25, 2017
Electrical Safety in Construction Workshop
October 25-26, 2017