SCTE to form Sustainability Management Subcommittee to develop standards and recommend practices
June 28, 2010
The Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers (SCTE) is creating a new technical subcommittee within the SCTE Standards Program to develop standards and recommended practices for energy management and related topics.
The Sustainability Management Subcommittee (SMS) is responsible for
identifying practices for reducing power consumption and costs,
increasing operating efficiency and minimizing disposal effects of
outdated equipment. The SMS is being created in conjunction with SCTE’s
Smart Energy Management Initiative (SEMI) to leverage existing
operations expertise of the Standards Program as well as procedure from
he energy management and recycling sectors.
The SMS will be holding a meeting in early September that is intended
to establish projects and associated working groups. Members of the
Standards Program are encouraged to submit suggestions for work topics.
Those already under consideration are as follows:
– Best practices for facilities management in the area of energy
utilization, including tools for estimating usage and potential savings;
– Standards or guidelines for the design of equipment for use in
facilities, including data centers, in areas such as air venting;
– The use of a management systems standard such as the upcoming ISO
50001, Energy management systems—Requirements with guidance, possibly
with industry-specific content;
– Standards or recommended practices for fleet management and related outside plant activities; and
– Recommended practices for recycling CPE.
Print this page