Sheraton Toronto Airport hotel fined $70,000 after worker suffers burns
By Alyssa Dalton
February 3, 2012 – Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel and Conference Centre, of Etobicoke, Ont., was fined $70,000 for a violation of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) after a worker was injured.
On May 1, 2010, a maintenance worker was changing a fuse in a 600-volt electric panel. When the worker attempted to pull out the fuse with metal pliers, there was an explosion and the worker suffered first, second and third degree burns.
Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel and Conference Centre pleaded guilty to failing to ensure that the worker did not use a tool capable of conducting electricity near the electric panel.