Ontario releases new Apprenticeship Strategy
February 7, 2018 — Mitzie Hunter, Ontario Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development, released Ontario’s new Apprenticeship Strategy today.
The Ontario government says it is improving the apprenticeship system by developing a system that provides end-to-end supports for apprentices and employers and responds to the needs of a changing economy and workforce.
The multi-year strategy will:
• Create better incentives for employers to train and retain apprentices by transforming the existing Apprenticeship Training Tax Credit into the Graduated Apprenticeship Grant for Employers
• Promote apprenticeship as a valuable postsecondary pathway and help individuals make decisions about their career options by providing information about different careers leading from an apprenticeship through Ontario’s labour market website
• Update the apprenticeship system through digital enhancements, including a simplified online registration process
• Develop recommendations on how to ensure students in the K-12 system are prepared for, exposed to and aware of career opportunities in the skilled trades
• Enhance services that support apprentices to begin and complete their training, including increases the participation of young people and underrepresented groups in the skilled trades
“Working in the skilled trades is an empowering, rewarding experience — so we want to make sure every person who wants to become a tradesperson has the support to do so,” said George Gritziotis, CEO and registrar of the Ontario College of Trades. “This strategy is client-focused, and begins to move us towards a pathway that will increase the successful completions of apprenticeships. We’re happy to have been a partner in the strategy’s development, and will continue to work with government to ensure the apprenticeship system evolves to meet the needs of the changing labour market.”
CanWEA Operations and Maintenance Summit
January 29-30, 2019
EIAA Annual Technical Conference
February 1-2, 2019
IES Ottawa Lighting and Lighting Controls Trade Show
February 21, 2019