Codes & Standards
News & Updates
Young electrotechnology pros wanted for SCC trip to Germany
April 1, 2016 By Renée Francoeur
April 1, 2016 – Standards Council of Canada (SCC) invites young electrotechnology professionals to apply to attend the 7th Annual International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Young Professionals Workshop in Frankfurt, Germany from October 10 to 14, 2016.
The annual workshop provides the next generation of standards experts with an understanding of IEC’s standardization and conformity assessment work. SCC is looking for managers, engineers and technicians ages 20-35 with the following qualifications:
• Education and experience in electric or electronic engineering/technology,
• Experience developing or working with standards or involvement in conformity assessment activities,
• Employment with a company, business or industry that uses, benefits or contributes to IEC standardization.
If selected, the applicant will represent Canada at the workshop. The win includes airfare, hotel and expenses. The winner will also have the opportunity to network with other electrotechnical professionals from around the world, contribute and present positions developed by young professionals to IEC management, observe and participate in technical meetings to see how standards are developed, and become a member of the Canadian Young Professionals Advisory Panel.
Dustin Tessier, managing director at Tesco Automation, won last year’s contest with a video submission. Watch him talk more about what he learned and his advice for other young professionals in the above video, which he did with IEC earlier this year.
Applicants are required to submit the following information:
• A brief statement about your company’s products and/or services, as well as your role within the company.
• A description of your involvement within IEC standards development activities or IEC conformity assessment activities that most affect your job responsibilities.
• An explanation of why you should be selected as SCC’s Young Professional representative for 2016.
• A brief explanation on how standards impact innovation (examples: environment, climate change, smart grid, smart energy, etc.)
Applications may be submitted in any of the following ways:
Send application to firstname.lastname@example.org using “IEC Young Professionals 2016” in the subject line.
Post an image, video or document to @StandardsCanada using the #YP2016 #IEC hashtags.
Send video to email@example.com. SCC will post the winning video entry to the StandardsCanada YouTube channel.
Post your application to “Standards Council of Canada (link is external)” Facebook page using the #YP2016, #IEC hashtags.
Interested? The deadline for submitting applications is April 22, 2016. The winner (maybe you!) will be selected by May 6, 2016, and will be featured in a news article posted on SCC’s website.
Print this page