By Ellen Cools
March 22, 2018 — Health Canada, the U.S. CPSC and Southwire have issued a recall for Southwire’s WiOn indoor in-wall wi-fi switch.
The wi-fi switch can overheat, posing a fire hazard. As of March 9, 2018, Southwire has received no reports of incidents or injuries in Canada or in the U.S.
The recalled product is an off-white rectangular device that replaces a standard light switch. The display panel has a button for on/off and two indicators for power and wi-fi connectivity. The “WiOn” logo is printed in green on the front of the switch. The recalled product has model number 50052, which can be found on the bottom right hand corner of its packaging.
Approximately 6,000 units of the affected products were sold in Canada, and about 24,000 were sold in the U.S.
The recalled products were sold from December 2015 to October 2017. The units were manufactured in China and distributed by Southwire in the U.S., and imported by Southwire Canada in Mississauga, Ont.
Health Canada says consumers should immediately stop using the recalled WiOn switch and contact Southwire to register their affected product. Southwire will provide $5 to registered customers to purchase a standard (non-wi-fi) replacement switch.
Additionally, clients will receive a full refund once the recalled wi-fi switch is returned to Southwire. Consumers should hire an electrician to perform the replacement and Southwire will reimburse them for this cost.