Electrical Business

Features Safety Safety News
Total Generator owner convicted for operating without a licence


May 6, 2015
By Renée Francoeur


Topics

May 6, 2015 – An unlicensed contractor has been convicted for the third time since January 2015 and received fines totaling $10,000 on charges relating to working without an electrical contractor’s licence. Paul Mullen, who owns and operates Total Generator, pleaded guilty in a Toronto court on Apr. 13, 2015 to allowing an unlicensed individual to perform electrical work.

Mullen was previously convicted and fined this year in Owen Sound, Ont. on Jan. 7 and on April 7 in Barrie, Ont. for multiple violations associated with not having an electrical contractor licence and failing to apply for an inspection. In a related case, Glen Martin was convicted and fined $2,625 for working without an electrical contractor licence and reconnecting power without authorization. Martin is also facing additional charges.

“We hope that the conviction of these two individuals will act as a deterrent to those who choose to work outside the system and put public safety at risk,” said Normand Breton, Electrical Safety Authority‘s registrar and director of contractor licensing. ESA said it has followed up on all sites to ensure inspections have taken place and that the installations are in compliance with the Ontario Electrical Safety Code.

All fines include a 25% victim fine surcharge as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.

Advertisment


learning curve Sponsored Content
Post your tech sheets, white papers, new technology etc. Contact Anthony Capkun