Worker killed, SNC-Lavalin Power Ontario Inc. fined 300K
By Anthony Capkun
SNC-Lavalin Power Ontario Inc. was fined $300,000 in July for a violation in 2007 under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) in which a worker was killed.
In that incident, the company was building an electrical plant in
Toronto, and had subcontracted another firm to provide carpentry,
electrical and plumbing services. An apprentice electrician employed by
the subcontractor was working with two journeyman electricians to
install temporary lighting when the apprentice removed the inside cover
panel of a live 600V transformer and contacted the taps within. The
apprentice was electrocuted.
A Ministry of Labour investigation found that the electrical panel was
not tagged or locked out. Inspectors also found that the company and
subcontractor both had lockout policies in place and SNC-Lavalin had
conducted an orientation for subcontractors. However, records did not
show the electrical crew had been given detailed training or a copy of
either company’s policy. The SNC-Lavalin site-specific policy was also
not fully implemented at the time of the incident.
SNC-Lavalin Power Ontario Inc. pleaded guilty to failing, as a
constructor, to ensure that its subcontractor implemented a LOTO
procedure to ensure workers were protected from shocks and burns. In
addition to the fine, the court imposed a 25% victim fine surcharge,
which is credited to a provincial government fund to assist victims of