Codes & Standards
News & Updates
BC Electrical Code 2015 comes into force February 2016
December 10, 2015 By Anthony Capkun
December 10, 2015 – BC Safety Authority reports the Electrical Safety Regulation in British Columbia has been amended as per Ministerial Order M392 (see below), and is effective as of February 29, 2016. This provides for adoption of the 2015 Canadian Electrical Code—with BC amendments—as the BC Electrical Code 2015.
BC Electrical Code Reg. 2012 remains in effect until February 28, 2016.
In Information Bulletin No: IB-EL 2015-06 (below), Ulrich Janisch, BCSA Safety Manager, Electrical, provides additional information, including:
• Effective February 29, 2016, all of the electrical work performed under an installation permit, installation work performed under an operating permit, or a gas or elevating device permit, must be performed in accordance with the BC Electrical Code 2015.
• Effective February 29, 2016, all exams will be based on the BC Electrical Code 2015.
• Exams that are written prior to February 29, 2016, will be based on the BC Electrical Code Regulation 2012.
• Installation permits issued prior to December 2, 2015, will require work to be done according to the BC Electrical Code Regulation in effect at the time of issuance.
• For permits obtained after December 2, 2015, and before February 29, 2015—and for installations done under an operating permit during this time—the electrical work will be based on the BC Electrical Code Regulation 2012, except under an approved variance.
Check out Information Bulletin No: IB-EL 2015-06 below for more.
Print this page