By Renée Francoeur
June 9, 2015 – Cree has issued a recall involving 48-in. LED replacement lamps for certain 25W fixtures, which use fluorescent T8 lamps, and are available in two colours: cool white and soft white. Electrical arcing may cause the lamp to overheat and melt, posing a burn hazard, the company noted.
The affected units have “BT848 Series Lamp” marked on the lamp itself or printed on a white label affixed to the lamp, with the product part number appearing on the tube on the line below. A four-digit date code is printed beneath the statement “Compatible with Instant Start, Rapid Start and Dimmable Electronic Ballasts”.
Products with any of the specified product numbers and date codes below are affected:
• Linear LED T8 Replacement Lamp LEDT8P-48-21L-35K
• Linear LED T8 Replacement Lamp LEDT8P-48-21L-40K
• Linear LED T8 Replacement Lamp LEDT8P-48-17L-30K
• Linear LED T8 Replacement Lamp LEDT8P-48-17L-35K
• Linear LED T8 Replacement Lamp LEDT8P-48-17L-40K
• Linear LED T8 Replacement Lamp LEDT8P-48-17L-50K
• Linear LED T8 Replacement Lamp LEDT8P-48-21L-30K
• Date Codes: 3314, 3414, 3514, 3614, 3714, 3814, 3914, 4014, 4114, 4214, 4314, 4414, 4514, 4614, 4714, 4814, 4914, 5014, 5114, 5214, 0115, 0215, 0315, 0415, 0515, 0615, 0715, 0815, 0915, 1015, 1115, 1215, 1315, 1415, 1515, 1615
The UL certification authorization number is E330248.
The issue is limited to batches of lamps produced at one manufacturing location in a certain time frame. The products were manufactured in China.
Neither Health Canada nor Cree Canada Corp. has received any reports of consumer incidents or injuries to Canadians related to these products. In the U.S., Cree said it received four reports of the lamps overheating and melting but no injuries have been reported.
Approximately 11,502 of the recalled products were sold in Canada between October 2014 and May 2015, and approximately 36,845 units were sold in the United States from August 2014 through April 2015. In Canada, these products were sold to consumers exclusively through electrical contractors. In the U.S. they were sold at The Home Depot nationwide and to commercial lighting customers through electrical distributors.
Consumers with affected products should contact Cree Canada Corp. toll-free at 1-800-473-1234 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.creecanada.com for a refund.