Codes & Standards
News & Updates
IES publishes Sports and Recreational Area Lighting (IES RP-6-15)
By Renée Francoeur
September 14, 2015 – The Illuminating Engineering Society of North America (IES) has published Sports and Recreational Area Lighting (IES RP-6-15), the most recent addition to IES Recommended Practices series.
The purpose of IES RP-6-15 is to provide recommendations to aid in the design of sports lighting systems. Popular sports, such as baseball, tennis, basketball and football as well as recreational social activities, such as horseshoe pitching and croquet are covered.
The sections of IES RP-6-15 include:
• Lighting Fundamentals and Principals
• Design Factors and Considerations
• Power, Wiring and Controls
• Indoor Lighting Applications
• Outdoor Lighting Applications
• Appendices describing methods of calculation, equipment installation, measurement, maintenance, economic analysis, a glossary of lighting terms, and a bibliography that pertains to sports lighting design
Sports lighting systems consume power which over time can be significant, and IES RP-6-15 defines methods for maximizing energy efficiency.
Sports and Recreational Area Lighting (IES RP-6-15) is available in print or as a PDF download from the IES at www.ies.org/store. List price: $75.00; IES member price: $52.50.