RECALL – Overheating and fire hazards with Optimus Tower quartz heaters – 13-186
May 22, 2013 By Alyssa Dalton
May 22, 2013 – The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) says Family Dollar Stores is recalling 19,640 Optimus Tower quartz heaters due to overheating and fire hazards. Family Dollar Stores has received 10 reports of overheating, including some reports of temperature knobs melting. The CPSC has not received reports of injury, fire or property damage.
See additional photos below.
Optimus Tower quartz heaters are portable electric tower heaters, standing about 10-in wide, 25-in tall and 9-in deep. The heaters have a white metal casing with a white plastic top, a wire cage protecting the heating elements and vent slits at the bottom. The front section of the top has the brand name Optimus, a power light, a caution light and two dials. One dial turns the heater On or Off and selects the power of either 750W or 1500W. The other control knob selects the heat range between High and Low. The rear section of the top has fire, high temperature and shock warnings and diagrams of the heater being used in 750W mode and 1500W mode. Model number “H-5232” is on a silver sticker on the bottom of the heater below the words “Optimus” and “Quartz Heater.”
The affected units were sold exclusively at Family Dollar Stores from September 2012 through December 2012. It is unknown how many, if any, made it into the Canadian market.
Consumers should stop using this product unless otherwise instructed. The heaters should be unplugged and returned to any Family Dollar Stores location for a full refund. Enquires can be directed to Family Dollar Stores at (800) 547-0359 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, or online at www.familydollar.com, then click on Product Recalls in the Help section at the bottom of the page.
Photos courtesy Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Print this page