Cisco forecast highlights growth in mobile traffic
By Anthony Capkun
Global mobile traffic is forecast to increase 66-fold between 2008 and 2013, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 131% over that same period.
to the Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Mobile Forecast for
2008-2013which provides key findings on a variety of IP networking
trends (driven largely by the increased use of mobile broadband
applications)these projections reflect a transformation in the
fourth-generation (4G) mobile Internet that will enable consumers to
view more mobile video and access a variety of mobile broadband
Additional key findings from the Cisco VNI Mobile Forecast:
• Global mobile traffic will exceed two exabytes per month by 2013.
• Global mobile data traffic reached one exabyte per month in half the time as fixed data traffic.
• Nearly 64% of the world’s mobile traffic will be video by 2013.
• Mobile video will grow at a CAGR of 150% between 2008 and 2013.
broadband handsets with higher than 3G speeds and laptop air or data
cards will constitute more than 80% of global mobile traffic by 2013.
• Latin America will have the strongest mobile growth at 166% CAGR, followed by the Asia-Pacific region at 146%.
• Asia-Pacific will account for one-third of all mobile data traffic by 2013.
As a reminder, 1 exabyte is equal to 1 billion gigabytes and 1000 petabytes, or 250 million DVDs.