Energy & Power
BC Hydro submits Site C Annual Progress Report to BCUC
By Renée Francoeur
January 2, 2017 – BC Hydro has submitted a copy of its Site C Annual Progress Report to the British Columbia Utilities Commission (BCUC), noting construction is “on track for both schedule and budget”.
The first annual report on Site C construction provides information on construction progress from July 2015 to September 2016.
Additional highlights of the report include:
• Project expenditures totalled $1.3 billion, as of September 30, 2016.
• Key accomplishments included: 329-metre Peace River Construction Bridge completed on time and on budget in March, 1600-person worker accommodation lodge also completed on time and on budget in August 2016, and “significant site preparation work”.
• BC Hydro awarded four major contracts within the budget established for each contract, including North Bank Site Preparation, Worker Accommodation, Main Civil Works and Turbines & Generators.
• Site C employment increased from 392 workers in August 2015 to 1750 workers in September 2016. Workers from British Columbia made up 80% of the total workforce in September 2016.
• The project received dozens of key permits and authorizations during its first year. This included federal authorizations for the construction and operation of the dam and reservoir under the Navigation Protection Act and Fisheries Act, and the provincial Water Licence for construction and operation and multiple Leaves to Commence Construction for the project.
• BC Hydro reached several agreements with communities and First Nations. This included reaching a Community Measures Agreement with the City of Fort St. John and reaching agreements, or terms for agreements, with a number of Aboriginal groups, including Dene Tha’ First Nation and McLeod Lake Indian Band.
• BC Hydro commissioned an independent review of Site C processes and practices by Ernst & Young/BTY Group. The review found that the Site C project is “clearly defined and well-planned”.
BC Hydro provides the BCUC with a copy of its quarterly and annual reports on project progress, accomplishments, risks and costs. The reports are available online at the Site C website HERE.